Tuesday 30 August 2022

GMH

 Poetry came up in conversation with neighbours yesterday - not me, I didn't tip it that way with a nod or a wink or a timely quotation - Mary offered a Gerard Manley Hopkins' kingfisher, remembered from the lessons of an enthusiastic English teacher when she was a girl, how often the way.  

If i had it by heart, which I should, I'd offer this quiet piece by the celebrated Hopkins at any time. And i'm not surprised to be reminded of it at this juncture, at a turning over of books, stones and fond conjecture, looking for inspiration.


Heaven-Haven

        (a nun takes the veil)
  I have desired to go
      Where springs not fail,
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
  And a few lilies grow.

  And I have asked to be
      Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
  And out of the swing of the sea.   

No comments:

Post a Comment